Thursday, April 29, 2010

I am so jealous of her boogie!

Today, I bought RuPaul’s new book: Workin’ It – RuPaul’s Guide to Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Style. I’m a big fan of RuPaul, and only became a bigger fan of hers when I saw her live in concert and through her many television appearances, as well as her global hit show RuPaul’s Drag Race, which just ended its second season. Her new book talks a lot about her success and one of her excerpts in her first chapter really spoke to me.


It made me feel horrible to some extent because I do a lot of what she says we should not do and a lot of what she says sounds very true to me. Here, I’ll post what she writes.


Positivity always pays off. You can start by not putting other people down. Gossip and saying negative things about other people in a result of you self-loathing projecting outward. Don’t feed into it! When you see that tourist standing in baggage claim, the one wearing the misguided, Day-Glo tracksuit, cut them some slack! You criticizing them is the same as you criticizing yourself. Accept that misguided Day-Glo tracksuit and you will dodge a lethal boomerang. What you find fault with in other people is usually what’s bothering you about yourself. It’s an endless if you let yourself fall into that negative pit.

Similarly, if people are saying nasty, hurtful things about you, don’t allow your ego to co-opt the situation by taking what they’re saying to heart. Know that what they’re saying has nothing to do with you. Again, it’s them projecting their own self-loathing and fear. Say this out loud: What other people think of me is none of my business.


That excerpt really spoke to me because I do what RuPaul said I should not do all the time. I do gossip and usually insult other people all the time, even if I don’t really mean to. Do I gossip and say hurtful things about other people because that’s what I despise about myself? Perhaps. A lot of the most homophobic people out there, are actually homosexuals themselves and the reason they’re so homophobic is because they are not comfortable with their sexuality.

Similarly, I do take a lot of people what they say to heart. I told you in the post right before this one that I have self-esteem issues and when people say something hurtful about me, my paranoia comes in play.


Well, in result to this excerpt, I say NO MORE! I shall try not to gossip about other people anymore and not take what they say to heart. Because as RuPaul said in her book, and countless times in her show: “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else? Can I get an amen in here?”


AMEN, RuPaul! AMEN!


SEXDUCTXY!

No comments: