Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breaking News: The gaydar actually exists!

OK, so probably it’s not really breaking news, but even I have to sometimes think, “Gaydar, are you really real?” Of course, it’s real, but other people have always told me that the gaydar is just a myth and that a gay man’s luck with finding other gay men is just a coincidence. But why would a man lie about having a water-downed version of grindr imbedded into their brains? When you think about it, it’s actually pretty ingenious. We can tell who is gay or straight after sitting down and talking to them for a bit, or just by looking at them. It’s without a doubt, an awesome tool to have.


However, even after countless demonstrations people continue to doubt my gaydar’s accuracy. Have I ever been fooled by a straight man and have been led to believe that said man is gay? Yes, I have… But in my defense, it’s not my fault straight men wised up and learned that straight women go to gay clubs. It’s also not my fault that straight men actually realized that they have a better time at the gay clubs than they do the straight ones. Most straight people seem to learn this after venturing there. Gay clubs are the shit.Well, people can stop contemplating whether the gaydar is real or not.


Last May the NY Daily News released an article proving that gaydars may actually exist. In the article scientists discovered that “gays are much more detailed oriented.” Well, no offense to the NY Daily News but I could have told them that. Just look at the stereotypical gay man: Good with fashion, good with boys, good with girls, good in bed, and good at so much more. Only someone who pays attention to detail could learn of past fails and turn them into win.


But, seriously, has it really taken this long to learn that gay people are naturally more detailed-orientated? I always joke with my friends that on my gaydar gay people show up as pyramids, straight people show up as cubes, and bisexual people show up as spheres. But that’s just what it is – a joke. But here’s some breaking news to all the straight people out there. Gay men may or may not agree with me but here it is: A gay person’s gaydar only works if they observe and/or have a conversation with someone.


There have been times when I will watch someone and think, “Wow, I think that person is gay,” The gaydar at work there is just the small things I pick up on while watching said person. It’s not just the metrosexuality or the attention to fashion, but other subtle differences. The way the person carries themselves, the way the person sits, the things that I unconsciously seem to pick up on that other people for some reason can’t. Those things usually lead to me to believe if a person is gay or not.


However, sometimes looking a person is just not enough. Sometimes, I have to talk to them. One time, one of my sisters took me to the Apple store and we were helped by a really cute twink there. While, we left my sister asked me if I thought he was gay and I had deduced by talking to him for a bit that he was. My sister never really asked why I thought he was gay (and I turned out to be right. I saw him later on the in weekend at the gay clubs with his boyfriend), but I’m sure she thought it was because of his voice.


Yes, usually gay people have the gay accent but I have met several straight men who have gay accents and I’ve met many gay men who have very “straight” sounding voices. The reason I thought our Apple twink was gay was because I picked up on some of the things he did when he spoke to us. I deduced how easy it was to get along with him, I deduced the small things he did when he spoke, and I deduced his confidence level which for a cute twink like him, was very, very high.


That’s all a gaydar is straight people. It’s like detective work. You have to observe, research, and come to a hypothesis. It’s not really a secret, but the next time you think the gaydar is a myth, remember this: The gaydar is actually a scientific process, and well, science doesn’t lie…


SEXDUCTXY!


((NOTE: To read the article go here – http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/05/28/2010-05-28_gaydar_may_actually_exist_study_shows_gay_people_to_be_more_detailoriented_disce.html ))

No comments: